Monday, May 05, 2008

Ritual of Faith

A five hundred year old ritual documents Muslim men throwing an infant off of a holy tower.

I find this ritual to be an exquisite symbolic ritual of faith and letting go. Viewed through the lens of Western Judeo Christian culture I can imagine that this image is deeply upsetting, but through the lens of a faith like Islam, which is based in a deep devotion and obedience to God/Allah, I have great respect for this ritual of faith.

What saddens me most is the absence of women and mothers in the crowd gathered to witness and receive a baby descending from the heavens. This leads me to ruminate on the lack feminine empowerment in the Muslim culture. My hope is that the prayers of the mothers of these babies are sufficient enough to sustain them.

May we all know peace and well being, faith and tolerance.
May peace prevail on earth.

No comments: