Thursday, September 22, 2005

I was fortunate enough, in 1989 to be handed a book with the instructions, "just hold on to it until you're ready". In 1991, I tucked the little tome into my jacket pocket to read while riding the NYC subway system. The book was Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. The book became my bible, the subway car my church and the wisdom contained within the experience an inspiration to define, in specific language and images, just what I wanted to manifest in my life. I have Mimi Eisman to thank for putting that experience into my hands at a time that I wasn't ready.

In 1991 I was living in a basement apartment with my husband Chris, in Park Slope just off the park on 6th street. I was a budding jewelry designer, cutting my teeth in the world's most competitive market at outdoor flea markets, street fairs and art shows. It took guts, it took patience and it took tenacity to not be intimidated by all the other jewerly designers trying to do the same thing I was doing. I paid my dues, standing for eight hours in 30 degree weather, selling two to three hundred dollars worth of jewelry that would be our cash to get us through to the next week. No matter what my sales, we'd always go out for a nice dinner on Sunday night and toast my success, in whatever form it took that day.

Donna Karan was a VERY big time designer in NY in those days and I decided that that's where I wanted to be. Because I didn't get too specific with the image, I had no way of knowing that landing at DKNY was going to look like getting my foot in the door with a sales executive who set me up in the coffee room on the 7th floor where I sold most of the inventory in my sample case to the sales staff. They were so supportive, so thrilled to see something new and different and unique. I was a very happy girl when I left there that day.

That particular success made me realize that I was truly capable of visualizing just about anything that I wanted and getting it, even though I was living in a two room apartment and literally working in the bathroom with my beads stored on the top of the dryer! It was at that point in my life that I did my first surrender to Divine Will. God said, "you make the jewelry, I'll take care of the rest". So that's what I've done. And it's been fourteen years of making a wagon load of jewelry with these two hands. 1000's of earrings...1000's of necklaces and bracelets, I've literally created treasure troves and jewelry. When I see it all collected in my minds eyes, the output is overwhelming.

No comments: