Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dreaming of the Blessed Mother


Let me start by saying that I am not a recovering Catholic. I have never been Catholic and don't plan to convert. However, I do have a great respect for the Catholic relationship to the mother of the Christian God. I like to refer to her as the Christian Fertiltiy Goddess Image, and I have been wearing her likeness (with wings!) in the form of a medal around my neck for sometime now. I could debate the whole Virgin/Whore dynamic, but what's the point? The Mother Mary icon of Christianity is a goddess image in my book and that's enough for me.

I dreamt of her last night. I was inhabiting a little beach cottage in Santa Cruz, trying to make an appointment to see a counselor about all this crying I've been doing. I left to go to an appointment, but came back for something. There at the south end of the beach was a portrait of Mary, floating on air. Guess what? Her eyes followed me wherever I went!

I think I'm going to be ok.

For this I am grateful,
Connie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really need to hear the Elyza Gilkerson song "Requiem." It is a plea to mother Mary. One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard!

(I think I've mis-spelled the name. I know there is a y in her name, but I can't remember if it's in her first or her last!!)