Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Wisdom of Albert Hoffman



There is a lovely article in the New York Times this morning on Albert Hoffman, the father of LSD, who turns 100 this week. He discovered the compound in 1938.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/07/international/europe/07hoffman.html

I was twenty when I took my first and only half hit of acid. I was terrified that I would lose my mind, but intrepid in spirit, I dropped the little tab
anyway, amidst the safety of seasoned LSD taking friends. We got in the car and drove to the beach, about 2pm. I recall a sense of tremendous well being. It was spring time and the beach was SeaCliff in Aptos, Ca. For me, the trip was all about color and developing a greater appreciation for the colors of the natural world, and it is the chemically enhanced quality of the color that I shall never forget. And my eyes learned a new way of seeing the natural world and my life has been greatly enriched by that experience.

Albert Hoffman says:

"It's very, very dangerous to lose contact with living nature. Outside is pure energy and colorless substance. All of the rest happens through the mechanism of our senses. Our eyes see just a small fraction of the light in the world. It is a trick to make a colored world, which does not exist outside of human beings."

No comments: