Sunday, February 19, 2006

Response to Singing to the Dying


The following is excerpted from a longer message received today from a neighbor and friend. His daughter drown last June. She was 22 and a young mother.

"Reading your essay on singing for the dying has got me thinking. It got me thinking what I wouldn't give to sing to my daughter when she left this world. I would give everything I have and everything I will have to have been able to sing her to heaven.

Instead of singing though ... what I got to do is take her out for a scrumptious meatball sub the day before she died and have lunch with her and listen to her excitedly tell me about her new job. And listen to her protests when I slipped her some cash because as a young married couple I knew they needed the money.

I got a huge big hug when I dropped her off and I got to poke her in the sides and make her jump one last time like I always did for some strange reason whenever she hugged me hard. I got to hear her tell me that she loved me and would call me later as we she walked away.

No I didn't get to sing in her ear and hold her hand as she left this world but I guess we all have to take what we can get and for that I am ever grateful."

Who would you like to be singing to as they die, inviting them to gently let go to the sound of music? Call them, write to them, rollover and tell them you love them.

Namaste`,
Connie

No comments: