Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Michael Vick's Dogs


If I hadn't gone to the dentist for my check up yesterday, I wouldn't have seen this months issue of Sports Illustrated and I wouldn't have picked it up to find the article about the dogs that survived the ordeal perpetrated by a pro football star and Virginia native named Michael Vick.  I wouldn't have read the article, wouldn't have wept for the grace of it all, wouldn't have been grateful to the dog lovers out there who believed the dogs should be granted salvation.  92% of Michael Vick's dogs survived their ordeal and have been fostered or adopted.   My limited experience with pit bulls is that they are very sweet dogs and love affection and attention, just like any other dog.  Maybe more so! 

It's a good story. You can read it here if you like.  

There is also a blog devoted to the dogs and it's written by the dogs so that's pretty entertaining.  I agree with Gandhi: "the greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."  Leona Helmsley is one extreme, Michael Vick is the other end of the spectrum. In between there are millions of devoted animal lovers in America whose lives are daily enriched by the animals they share their homes with. 

For this I am truly grateful.

Connie

No comments: