Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thank you Sue Moore



As a Junior at Soquel High School in 1975, I was presented the gift of a teacher with a kind heart.  Her name was Sue Moore and she advised me in English independent study: we made an agreement that I would read one book per week and sit down and discuss it with her.  She inspired me to move beyond The Witch of Blackbird Pond in my literature choices.  Reading was a passion and I  reported to Sue on a weekly basis during the spring semester of 1975.  I was suffering some serious health issues with asthma during that year and she brought in a healer who diagnosed "stacked ribs".  

When I told my mom what the healer had said she was angry because she didn't understand what "stacked ribs" meant.  I don't think I did either, but I just wasn't able to communicate to my mom how comforting it was to have someone look at me and tell me why I was in so much pain.  Who knows what she meant by "stacked ribs", but in retrospect, it sounds like a chiropractic issue.  Chiropractic medicine, even in Santa Cruz, was a few years off from becoming part of the zeitgeist of new age healing.

A little internet research has unearthed her 1963 Eureka High School  photograph.  Sue is the lovely flower on the right, third row down.  Isn't she beautiful?  I see her kind heart shining through her lovely eyes.   Sue inspired me to seek a spiritual path.  It would be another 13 years before I found the path or it found me, but Sue instilled in me a desire to seek divinity and for this I am eternally grateful. 

Grateful, I am  to Sue, for sharing the B'ahai faith with me.  She was a teacher who gave me a template to live by...a piece of paper I still have:  black ink on goldenrod card stock, in a protective sleeve.  Thank you, Sue Moore.  Thank  you.  

As soon as I locate the piece of paper, I'll post what it says.

Om Shanti,
Connie


No comments: