Thursday, June 29, 2006

Buffet and Gates and the Soul of Humanity



My opinion? Bill Gates and Warren Buffet go a long way in balancing
pejorative public perception of the wealthy in America. I've felt
wildly embarrassed to be an American on many occasions in the past
several years; specifically by the likes of Kenneth Lay, Martha
Stewart, L. Dennis Kozlowski, Mark Swartz, oh, who am I leaving out??

I'm an independent idealist. I am not wealthy, but I am an artist with
a sensibility that is shamed by the blatant lack of compassion that the
ruling party/class has exhibited in the face of tremendous human
suffering brought on by an oil-based War of their own creation and the
pathetic response to Hurricane Katrina last September.

I loved the New York Times front page image of Warren Buffet on Monday.
There he is getting out a cab on 5th Ave to meet Bill at the Public
Library. No briefcase, no portfolio; just a beat-up manilla bubble
mailer which no doubt held the check for $31 billion (or is it 44)
made out to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Ah! HUMILITY! Thank you Warren
Buffet, thank you Bill Gates for choosing philanthropy at the height
of your power with the best interests of the soul of humanity at stake.
You have my blessing to go cure world diseases and help pay to educate
brilliant minds. May each of us be great stewards of wealth, in
whatever form we experience the word.

No comments: