Monday, June 05, 2006

Yoga Wedding



I had the extreme honor and pleasure of officiating (for the first time) at the wedding of my yoga teacher Gwen and her groom Fred this evening. The ceremony we created began with Hindu chanting and also included aspects from the New Zealand Book of Common Prayer, (Episcopal), as well as the Seven Blessings or Sheva Brachos canted in Hebrew from the Jewish tradition. It ended with the smashing of the wineglass under the groom's foot! It was truly a multi-denominational wedding ceremony.

I love being called to this ministry. I loved creating a ceremony that was meaningful to many people of various religious and spiritual practices. I have always enjoyed breaking out of the box and this was no exception. Every word spoken was unfamiliar to those congregated; i.e., they listened in a new way to the blessing of a marriage. Gwen and Fred share an beautiful and tender love and it was such a delight to officially marry them.

No comments: