Monday, October 13, 2008

I know what I have to do and I don't want to do it.




Lucy's quality of life is so diminished.  She sleeps and any exertion creates more labored breathing and coughing and gagging.  Last Tuesday I felt sure it was time to euthanize but then she woke up all bright-eyed and I just couldn't do it.  But she's not eating...just a little bacon today and my concern is that her throat hurts from the coughing and gagging.

I'm beginning to feel selfish with my desire to continue to enjoy her physical presence but this just isn't fair to her.   Here I am starting to cry and she just looks at me like, "whatsthemattermom?"  But I notice how stress is getting to her, anything going on in the household that isn't calm and peaceful brings on more distress for her.  I know it's time and I just need to LET GO.

I've got an appointment tomorrow for Dr. Gerlach to assess her condition.  If he feels it's time to let her go, then I will.  I just don't want her to be scared and the vet office has historically caused her stress.   I'd really like her to be at home in our bed.  I feel like that would be the final gift for her.  

Please send us lots of love and prayers for Lucy's transition. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Connie,

I know how hard this decision is. I hoped that Buddie would just not wake up one morning. In the end I had to do what none of us wanted. It was very peaceful I must say. Unlike Lucy, Buddie loved to go the the vets office, so it was not hard to get her there, other than her falling when she got out of the car, just another sign that I was doing the right thing at the right time. I know it is hard to let something so close to your heart go, but she will stay in your heart forever.

I love you,
Kim