Sunday, October 26, 2008

She's Gone


For a person who feels a close affinity and connection to the spirit world, to Divine source energy, to the ever expanding universe, it has been a surprise to me to experience the extent to which Lucy is just GONE. Perhaps I romantically fantacized that her spirit would linger, that I would feel her essence still but from the moment the weight of her head dropped into my hand, she was and is completely gone.
I miss her softness, but celebrate her freedom. I miss her kisses on my face, but celebrate her freedom. I miss curling her into my body in bed, but I embrace once again my beloved Christopher whose embrace I once again curl into now that there isn't that little white fur baby between us in bed.
All things are viewed as a gift in my world of color and light, and for the gift of Lucy I am deeply grateful.

I count myself fortunate that in 50 years, Lucy's euthanasia was the first I've experienced. I have said goodby to a pet or two in my time, but never as decisive as Lucy's death was; I had to decide to end her life and if it felt rather a heavy weight to make that choice for an animal, I'm deeply grateful for the healing light of grace and beauty and compassionate veteranarians to ease the decision making and comfort the action of her dying.

I hope at my own death to close my eyes in this world and wake up in another where the mericful assistance to end suffering is as logical, compassionate and holy choice.

Om Shanti,
Om, Peace
Connie

No comments: