Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Lucy Fading


I just made a difficult phone call to Dr. Gerlach, asking if he was in the practice of visiting homes to euthanize ailing pets.  Lucy is beginning to show signs of suffering.  Her appetite (for donuts!) is gone, and though she loves her nightly walk,  she can't make it very far and I carry her home. 

Food and walks have been her joys in life and without them, this isn't much of a life.  Her little body is hardening...she's not getting much oxygen because her breathing is so shallow, she has so little prana and no way to get more.  

Last night in bed she was groaning alot, which indicates pain to me; she's coughing and choking more, her lungs are so compromised, I can hear how much fluid and congestion there is there.  In a few more days, I feel I must choose to end her life peacefully or watch her deteriorate further.  She is such a beautiful little animal, I do not want to rob her of that as well.


No comments: