Friday, October 14, 2005

BUY ART!

painting by Will Corr


Perhaps you can help me identify the person who said that when they had a little extra money they bought books, and if there was any left over they bought some bread. I'm thinking this was Simone deBeavoir, but I could be wrong. This most certainly seems a feminine sentiment, dont'cha think?

When I have a little extra money, or even when I don't, I buy art. I started my business in the world of flea markets and crafts shows in New York City. If a dozen people out of hundreds stopped and looked at my work, that felt good. If a few of them traded me money for my work, that felt great. Chris and I would always go out for a nice dinner after a show, regardless of the day's income. I am so grateful to those New Yorkers who first purchased my jewelry. I hope a lot of it is still walking the streets and drawing stares!

So now, I want to tell you to support artists every way that you can. This weekend, just down the street from my studio is the Stockley Gardens Fall Arts Festival. It's the show that supported me and put me on the arts map in Norfolk for over ten years. It is the very best in art that our lovely town has to offer and the proceeds from the event benefit Hope House Foundation, which is a non-profit that provides independent housing and guidance for the disabled. HOPE HOUSE IS PART OF WHAT MAKES NORFOLK AN AMAZING PLACE TO LIVE! Please get down there and spend some of your own hard or easily earned money supporting the work of an artist.

And if you don't have an art show to go to this weekend, then go on eBay and search for "outsider art". You will find a vast pool of very talented individuals who aren't part of the bona-fide "art world". Many are good folks who just like to create and express themselves with paint and wood, clay and collage and many are thrilled just to be moving their work along. Don't expect to spend a lot of money. One painting I got at a winning bid of $10 and I sent him $30 cuz it didn't feel right to "steal" it from him for $10! If you aren't an eBay member, then go on as a guest and send somebody a comment telling them you like their work. Make an artists day! We all just want to be loved and make a little money doing what we love!

Be well, do good work,
Connie

No comments: